What is a Goal Tree?
A Goal Tree, sometimes still referred to as Intermediate Objective Map or IO Map, is primarily a Logical Thinking Process tool, itself linked to the Theory of Constraints. A Goal Tree describes the logical links between the Goal, few Critical Success Factors (CSFs) that are to be achieved to achieve the Goal and a tree-structured Necessary Conditions (NCs) to achieve the CSFs.
To learn more, read:
Goal Tree, what for?
- Goal-Setting Theory and Goal Tree
- A Goal Tree as vehicle for change management explains how the logical analysis of the actual situation and building the desired future condition with all stakeholders prevents resistance to change
- Goal Tree for personal goal. A career path can be defined with a Goal Tree
- How Goal Tree Can Keep You from Failing Projects
- Goal Tree is a Lean tool!
- From Goal statement to Goal achievement, the complete process
- Goal Tree: How to define Critical Success Factors?
- Properly stating Critical Success Factors
- Engage your staff
- Goal Tree: what is a Necessary Condition?
- How deep should a Goal Tree go?
- How green is your Tree? – Beware of autumnal colors! – 3-color system for Goal Tree
- From Goal Tree to action plan
- Goal Tree: scalable, fractal
Goal Tree: is it worth it?
- Why the Goal Tree is more and more relevant
- Goal Tree: is it worth it? Building a Goal Tree takes some time, but the return on investment is worth it.
Goal Tree chronicles
This series is about my own experience and lessons learnt with Goal Trees. The Goal Tree Chronicles have their >own page here<
- Goal Tree chronicles – What is our Goal? Business unit top managers unable to state the purpose of their unit, hence to define a Goal
- Goal Tree chronicles – What are our CSF? Executives sharing a goal but unable to state the underlying Critical Success Factors
- Goal Tree chronicles – Clarity in objective setting
- Goal Tree chronicles – Start with the end in mind
- Goal Tree chronicles – The pharma plant A story about 20+ alleged strategic streams to manage
- Goal Tree chronicles – ToC is about focusing! How Goal Tree and Hoshin Kanri would have helped pharma plant
- Goal Tree chronicles – Four hours to fill six boxes
- Goal Tree Chronicles – From Goal to action plan in a couple of hours
- Goal Tree Chronicles – Ordering ideas